Saturday, July 2, 2016

In the Thick of It

Hey Readers!


Having recently returned from an epic out-of-county birding trip, I was beginning to miss my favorite county, Maricopa.  A great chance to add a bunch of new birds to my MC list came up when a Thick-billed Kingbird was reported at the Hassayampa River Preserve!  The TBKI is pretty much one of Arizona's Southeastern Specialties, so having it this far north was pretty wild!  Saturday the 21st of May seemed to be my best opportunity for the bird.  Figuring that Tommy D (the King of Maricopa) would also want to chase this bird, I sent him a text asking if he would be interested in joining forces Saturday morning.  He said he was already planning to be there with Gordon Karre and that I was welcome to join them.

I hadn't birded any of Maricopa County's riparian areas up until this point, so you can imagine that I needed a lot of birds!  My Dad and I arrived at the US 60 Rest Area at 6:30 am to bird a while before the Hassayampa River Preserve opened.  I quickly spotted a male Summer Tanager - a county lifer for me!  Other birds I noticed here included a few Ladder-backed Woodpeckers, a couple Vermilion Flycatchers, two Ash-throated Flycatchers, a single Brown-crested Flycatcher, and a Lucy's Warbler.


This Ornate Tree Lizard was also a nice catch at the rest stop

After wandering around the rest stop's parking lot for 10 minutes or so, I noticed that Tommy had pulled up also.  Makes sense that he too would be checking out this area beforehand.  We drove into the preserve after talking for a little while at the rest stop.        






In the preserve's parking lot, Tommy, my Dad, and I met up with Gordon.  He had a nice custom license plate for his car that read "Elf Owl".  A Yellow-breasted Chat sang loudly from a mesquite right in the front of cars.  the chat was yet another new Maricopa bird for me.  Before paying our entrance fee, we met up with Dale Clark, Babs Buck, and a few of her friends who were also searching for the kingbird.  The preserve's building had some nice exhibits that I would have more thoroughly examined had I not been so preoccupied with finding the kingbird.  Not only was I hoping for the Thick-billed Kingbird, but I was also excited to find the Tropical Kingbirds and Gray Hawks which reach their northernmost range at Hassayampa.





Once we paid the entrance fee, Gordon, Tommy, Dale, my Dad, and I set off towards the Mesquite Meander Trail to search for the kingbird.  On the way, I noticed the call of a Pacific-slope Flycatcher which was another county lifer!  Migrants such as Western Wood Pewees, Hammond's Flycatchers, Yellow Warblers, Wilson's Warblers, and Lazuli Buntings were also detected.  After stopping mid way along the Mesquite Meander Trail, we quickly picked out some Tropical Kingbirds - a lifer for me!









Then, I noticed a large flycatcher in a nearby snag.  I paused for a moment, thought about what else it could be, and then called out "I think I've got it over here!"  Tommy and the other birders rushed over and gazed in wonder at their first Thick-billed Kingbird for Maricopa County!  Tommy got some insurance photos and then gave me a fist bump.  I could only hope to find as many birds as he has in this county!  We wanted to say a lot, but said nothing.  We just watched this massive flycatcher up on its perch as it called very loudly.








This Bullock's Oriole also made a brief appearance for us

After a few minutes, the kingbird flew northward towards some dense mesquites.  Tommy and I went off trail briefly to attempt to relocate the bird.  We found nothing apart from a Blue Grosbeak's metallic call.  That Blue Grosbeak was my first for the county.  Since this particular location was the kingbird's go-to spot, we decided to camp out for a while hoping it would come back.  The trail was mostly quiet.  A cardinal sang occasionally.  A pair of Western Tanagers flew overhead.  Some White-throated Swifts passed over us high in the sky.  I started walking around the area a little and got excited when a large flycatcher popped into a bush.  It was a Brown-crested Flycatcher though.  I walked around a little more and saw something pass me overhead.  It was the Thick-billed Kingbird!  It vanished into some cottonwoods.  While we were all searching the cottonwoods, Gordon pointed out the bird towards the top of one of the trees!


  


The group taking in some awesome views of the TBKI

After 10 minutes or so of watching, we decided to leave the kingbird alone and move on in search of other birds.  We stopped to check out a Warbling Vireo when Gordon and I heard a Gray Hawk's peacock-like cry!  The GRHA was a lifer for me, although a heard-only.  Eventually, we reached the small Palm Lake where many cool birds such as Swainson's Thrushes and Wood Ducks had been reported recently.  We had Red-winged Blackbirds and a Common Yellowthroat there.  We stopped by a dense tangle of willows to look and listen for Willow Flycatchers.  fitz-bew.  fitz-bew.  The endangered Southwestern Willow Flycatcher called again faintly, but distinctly.  What a neat call - and a neat lifer!

By this time, I was pushing it to be on time for an Audubon volunteer orientation, so I decided to take off early.  Right as I was shaking hands with the birders to say goodbye, my Maricopa lifer Canyon Wren sang in the distance!  What a wonderful song.  On the way out, I stopped to check the hummingbird feeders for the Broad-billed Hummingbirds that had been reported earlier.  After 5 minutes of grueling anticipation, a male showed up and chased all the other hummers away!  Yet another score for Maricopa County!







In summary, I had the following lifers at Hassayampa:  1. Tropical Kingbird  2. Thick-billed Kingbird  3. Gray Hawk  4. Willow Flycatcher

My Maricopa lifers were: 1. Summer Tanager  2. Yellow-breasted Chat  3. Pacific-slope Flycatcher  4. Tropical Kingbird  5. Thick-billed Kingbird  6. Blue Grosbeak  7. Gray Hawk  8. Willow Flycatcher  9. Canyon Wren  10. Broad-billed Hummingbird


Godspeed and good birding,

- Joshua





2 comments:

  1. Dude nice Maricopers! TBKI is a great one for the county!!! Great job on being the spotter for the day, too! I've had Gilbert's Skink at Hassayampa before so when you're there next time keep an eye out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Caleb! Gilbert's Skink would be awesome to find! I will have to look out for them...

      Delete