Tuesday, October 13, 2015

The Born Again Birder

Sure I ripped off the title of an article in Good Birders Don't Wear White, but I'm sure they won't mind...

To understand what a Born Again Birder is, you must understand the origin of the term.  As a Christian myself, I can attest to the fact that you reach a point in your walk with Christ where you have this great fire burning inside.  Everything changes.  The Bible passages that you've read a million times take on new meaning.  All that matters to you is sharing God's love with everyone you meet.  Your desire is that others can have what you have!  Some may think that the term "Born Again Birder" is sacreligious, but I disagree.  The term does not distort its original meaning.  But what does it have to do with birding?  A Born Again Birder is one that wants to share his love of birding with others so that they can experienced the joy of it.  It saddens me to think that some birders keep their wonderful hobby to themselves.  I was honored to be able to share my love for birding with the 8 year old son of our family friends.  Desmond and I have both loved birds since a young age, but he got a big head start on me!  He soon began keeping a life list.  He has been birding in California. Arizona, Montana, and Washington as of now.  He has a very sharp eye and a natural skill in bird identification.  We would often go birding together at my old patch and I found as much joy in finding him lifers as I did for my own life list!  It's a great thing to be able to share your passion with someone else.  You will never regret it!    


This is Desmond and I doing a little birding at the Anthem Community Park in Arizona.  
  

I would like to invite you all to check out Desmond's page on Project Noah where he posts many of his photos of wildlife he encounters:  

http://www.projectnoah.org/users/Desmond.E.S.O

Godspeed and good birding!

- Joshua

No comments:

Post a Comment